God has led me down the path to donate a kidney to my father.

Monday, November 27, 2006

Great to be home again!

Today is the first day I have had the energy to get back to my blog, but I have much to say! Dad and I went in to the hospital on November 21 as instructed by our coordinators. Sadly, the night before we were admitted to the hospital, a dear, dear family member passed away. I wondered how I could put my family through the worry of this operation, when they were trying to deal with such a great loss. I confided in my husband and he assured me everyone would still want me to go ahead with the operation and I knew he was right. So, the next morning we got ready and headed in to get the admission process started. Many thoughts ran through my mind as I sat in the waiting room while they were readying a bed for me, I was excited, nervous, anxious, sad and happy. I wrote in my journal and thought of my family and friends and how they were feeling at that moment. It was an emotional time for all of us and it was scary as well. After waiting 4 hours for a bed, I finally got settled in and put some of my things around the room. I ate supper, said goodnight to my family and prepared to head into surgery the next morning, bright and early. On Wednesday, November 22 (our scheduled surgery date) after waiting several hours for them to come and take me away, they informed me that they had found antibodies in my blood. Before they do any major surgery they need to be sure to have blood on hand for you in case you need a transfusion, this almost never happens, but they need to be prepared just in case. Because my blood had antibodies they would have to treat blood prior to my surgery to be sure that if I needed it, I would not have reaction to it. As such, the surgery would not take place until the next morning. Needless to say this was upsetting, but we knew that things would still go ahead, they would just be delayed and so we anxiously awaited yet another day for the surgery to be performed. Unfortunately during that time they had to move me from my very nice, quiet, comfortable private room, with my own washroom, sink and chairs, to a crowded ward with little room and women who shouted things all night long. For me this was very upsetting, it was already an emotional time, but I had just gotten settled into this room and felt very comfortable with the privacy, and now I was being thrown into a chaotic ward with no little space to call my own, and no privacy or quiet to collect my thoughts, and on top of everything I was trying to find a way to deal with the death of our loved one the night before. I was very unhappy with the change and began to cry. I called my husband and he comforted me, but after I hung up with him I quietly made my way to a dark empty waiting room and cried for some time alone. When I was able to stop crying, I returned to my room and tried to make the best of an uncomfortable situation. I got little sleep that night and paced the halls for two hours the next morning until my family arrived. The nurse arrived promptly to take me away and there were some tears from me as I kissed my loved ones and headed off into surgery. My husband followed me and stayed with me as long as he could and then it was time. They put the IV into my arm and sometime after 7:30 a.m. on November 23rd, I gave my father my left kidney. I woke up in recovery moaning with pain and the nurses rushed over and pumped me with drugs. Shortly after that I woke again and the process was repeated. They then wheeled me back down to my ward and were not very careful with the bumps and it was excruciating. The rest of the day was a blur for me I was very in and out of it. I remember my family being there and I remember talking to them but I don't remember much about what I said. I remember falling asleep that night shortly after everyone left and waking up in the night to shouting. I got very little sleep that night, due to the shouting and constant paging for nurses by the other patients. That morning the nurses had me sit up and move to a chair for my breakfast, this was very painful and nauseating. I tried to fight them on it but they insisted I had to get up, and I am thankful they did or I fear I may still be laying on that bed!! That was my biggest hurdle and after that things got better and better. Each time I got up was easier and I felt better and it wasn't long before I was able to get in and out of bed on my own and make it to the washroom on my own. I began walking to my father's room to visit him and shortly after that, on Saturday November 25th, I got to go home. Dad will be coming home tomorrow and he is doing great. We both are. I am still stiff and sore, but I feel really good, and each day is better than the one before. I know there is some negativity in this post, but rest assured it is all in reference to the way I was treated regarding my room, and pain, and not the way I feel about donating my kidney. With any surgery there is pain and for that you must be prepared. This was my first major surgery and I really didn't know what to expect as far as pain. With the room, they needed the bed for a man who came in and all the men's wards were full, the only available bed was in a woman's ward and so I had to be moved to make room. I understand that it was necessary but at the time it was very difficult for me to handle. Having said that, I would do it again in a second I assure you. Most of the nurses were incredible, some were not and that is unfortunate but it happens. The experience overall was amazing and seeing dad doing so well is wonderful. The kidney began working right away, his creatnine is dropping steadily and soon he will have his life back. I am feeling better each day and today actually walked to the mail box. A walk that normally takes me 3 minutes there and back, took me about 20 today but it was great to get outside. It feels amazing to be home again and I find that with the comfort of being home comes more and more progress each day. I can feel myself coming along and that is a great feeling. I would encourage anyone thinking of donating an organ to do it! The best advice, be informed and do your best to be prepared for everything, knowing that will make the experience all the better. I am happy with how everything went and looking back I know that I would do it all again without a second thought. God Bless, and I will keep posting mine and dad's progress. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home