God has led me down the path to donate a kidney to my father.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

As the one year anniversary of mine and my father's surgery draws closer, I find myself worrying about what my tests results will show. There's no real reason for me to believe they will be negative, but I think that worry is always there somewhere in the back of my mind. I am trying to take good care of myself, eating the right things and excercising. Although recently my schedule has been erratic so my excercise regime has taken a back seat. I know, I know smarten up go for your walks every day, and I do try, but there are days when I am so exhausted from work, and also from fixing up our home, that I just can't do it. I am excited about halloween, it is one of my favorite seasons. Seeing all the little children hobbling up my stairs to get that handful of candy, that bag of chips, or, my favorite treat to give out, a mini sip. It is expensive for us though, we get hundreds of children at our home and so we have to be very prepared, oh yes I always end up with extra left over because I'm overly prepared, but then we get to snack on whatever is left over so it's a treat for us. Dressing up as something your not, that's pretty exciting. I've always been fairly shy, but on halloween, when I could be someone or something else, I didn't have to be shy. I think that's why it was so fun for me. And now that I'm older, I find joy in watching other children experience that feeling of excitement. So my first Halloween after the surgery, coupled with the nervousness of my upcoming checkup, it's quite a time. But I'm sure everything will turn out well, I'll keep you posted!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Firstly, thank you for setting up the cause for kidneydonation on facebook. You are a beautiful and brave person for donating to your father. Dont worry about your health. My dad donated a kidney to me about 19 years ago and he's strong as an ox and very healthy. He is 61 now, retired, loving life with grandchildren (he watches my daughter every other week). He is a TaeKwonDo 4th degree blackbelt and started that after he donated his kidney to me to spend time with my brother who is 18. Therefore, enjoy life, your healthy father, and your husband. God bless.

FYI--transplanted kidneys do have a life expectancy. I lost mine about 4 years ago. It lasted me about 15 years. Make sure your dad stays healthy and continue to take his medicine and do his labs, etc.

6:39 AM

 
Blogger Amanda said...

Thank you so much for your wonderful words. It's always so helpful to hear other stories of success. Thank you for being a part of the cause of facebook, I hope that we can show others how much organ donation means to so many people. Thank you again, I will make sure my father stays healthy and takes care of himself.

3:15 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home